PDFs of all of the reports of the National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine are now available free of charge to everyone through the National Academies Press (NAP). The PDF is downloadable, fully searchable, readable, and printable. We ask that you refer others to NAP’s site to download the authoritative version of the report rather than forwarding it or posting it to your website.
To obtain a free PDF report:
1) Go to the National Academies Press Web site.
2) Type in the report title or subject in the “SEARCH” engine located in the upper left hand corner of the screen. The results of your search may produce several reports.
3) Double click on the title of the appropriate report.
4) Once you are on the report’s homepage, scroll down and click on the “DOWNLOAD FREE PDF” button.
5) Create an account by registering or “continue” as a guest. If you visit the site often, creating an account saves time. Your information will NOT be shared with external organizations.
6) After registering, logging in or continuing as a guest, you will be returned to the publication page, where you may click the “Download” link in the PDF section of the page to begin the download.
7) Please call 202-334-1601 if you have questions.
To obtain a complimentary, hard copy report:
If you are a congressional staffer, Member of Congress, or U.S. government employee, you may receive a complimentary printed copy of a report by clicking on this email link, typing “Report Request” in the subject line, and providing the information outlined below in the body of your email. Please note: due to budget constraints, there are limitations on the number of complimentary hard copies available.
- Requestor Name
- Office, Department or Agency
- Street Address
- Room/Suite/Mail Stop
- City, State and Zip Code
- Title of Report(s) and ISBN Number (if you know it)
(Please note: None of the information supplied will be shared with any other office or organization.)